Guard Against Plumbing Scares This Halloween
Even if someone likes the thrills and chills that come with this time of year, they likely don’t want to be startled by a sudden drain problem, clogged toilets, or cold showers. Homeowners can help prevent all of these plumbing issues with some planning and preparation, so if a homeowner has plans for the holiday, they can be sure that everything will go off without a hitch.
Drain cleaning is important to maintain the proper function of a plumbing system and to prevent clogs. Neglecting to clean drains can lead to serious consequences, such as flooding, water damage, and sewage backup.
Liquid drain cleaners are not recommended as they can contain toxic chemicals that can cause damage to the pipes themselves, causing corrosion that can lead to cracks and leaks in the pipes. Professional drain cleaning services can be hired to unclog drains or prevent them. Regular drain cleaning will keep the plumbing system running smoothly and avoid costly repairs in the future.
Preventing Toilet Clogs
A clogged toilet is perhaps the most common plumbing problem in any household. Most of these clogs are preventable if a few bits of advice are followed. Here are a few suggestions for preventing toilet clogs:
- Don’t Flush Items Other Than Toilet Paper: Avoid putting things in the toilet that cannot be flushed. This includes a long list of items like tampons and wipes. Even if the wipes say they are flushable, they will not break down as quickly as toilet paper and may cause clogs in the sewer line if not the toilet.
- Conserve Toilet Paper: Using too much toilet paper doesn’t just cause clogs; it can also strain a household budget. Using only a minimal amount of toilet paper helps keep the pipes open and the waste moving.
- The Double Flush: This is a good method if using more toilet paper is essential. The technique is flushing to break up the amount of toilet paper flushed at once to prevent clogs.
Stay on Top of Water Heater Maintenance
A cold shower is only good if that’s what a person wants or expects. An unexpected cold shower due to a broken water heater can be startling and uncomfortable. This is a clear reason to get water heater maintenance. A broken or neglected water heater is not just about cold showers. Rusty-colored, smelly water can also be the result. It can affect water pressure due to scale buildup and go lukewarm before it completely fails. A failing pressure release valve can even cause an explosive hazard.
These are some of the things a professional will do when maintaining a water heater:
- Flush and descale water heater tank
- Check the anode rod and replace it if needed
- Check electrical connections
- Check plumbing connections
- Test the pressure release valve (PRV) and replace it if needed
- Clean and test the heating element or burner
About Quahog Plumbing
Quahog Plumbing has over 15 years of experience serving Somerset, MA, and the surrounding areas. They offer same-day services, straightforward pricing, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Call them today for drain cleaning or water heater maintenance in Somerset, MA.
Distribution Links +